Monday, April 5, 2010

Stop-Motion Character Animation

I recommend clicking the video to view it on the YouTube site, otherwise the right side is cut off.



I started the project by trying to find two figures that had a lot of articulation. I ended up choosing a Godzilla and Captain Kirk figurine. The figurines were both about the same size, so I decided to have them have a battle. Godzilla and Kirk both move like they're stop motion anyway, so I figured I could make the movements look pretty natural. I storyboarded out the whole battle first, then I started photographing them. I knew there would be a lot of frames for the fight and that it would take awhile, but I really underestimated the amount of time the whole thing would actually take. Kirk fell down a lot and I had to use a ton of tape. For the end, I couldn't decide who should win, so I tried to figure out a movie both Godzilla and Kirk could agree on. I figured "King Kong" has a big monster that Godzilla would like and it also had a pretty girl Kirk would like. It also has some beautiful stop motion. After I finished taking all the pictures, I edited it together and added sound.

2 comments:

  1. Great remake of "Arena" from ST:TOS!
    Believability & Accuracy: 12 of 12 points
    Creativity: 8 of 8 points
    Total: 20 of 20 points

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your character animation was selected as one of the top three in the class. 20 bonus points

    ReplyDelete